Karaage Game Day Chicken Wings
Recipe brought to you by Bachan’s.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Bachan’s Japanese Barbecue Sauce, divided
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1.5 cups flour
- neutral high heat oil such as canola or grapeseed
- 1 bag shishito peppers (20-30 peppers)
- flaky salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with 1/4 cup Bachan’s sauce. Add the wings and toss to coat evenly. Let marinate for 1 hour. In a shallow container, whisk in 2 tablespoons Bachan’s sauce to the flour so the flour forms some large clumps – these add extra crispy bits.
- Take a wing out of the egg mix, shake gently, then coat in flour, pressing to ensure all sides are covered. Place on a tray and continue to coat all of the wings.
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a deep cast iron or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until 375°F.
- Carefully add the coated wings to the hot oil and deep fry in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Flip occasionally as needed, until crunchy, brown and cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add shishito peppers (in batches if needed) and cook until browned and blistered, 1-2 minutes, flipping as needed. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- When the wings are done, toss the wings with the shishito peppers and remaining sauce. Enjoy hot.