BALDUCCI’S AGED CHEDDAR & PARMESAN CHEESE SOUP
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
2 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch, diced
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch, diced
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk, heated
2 cups low sodium chicken stock, heated
1 (12-oz) bottle malty bass ale or your favorite local ale
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 ½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb Kerrygold Vintage Irish Cheddar, grated (4 cups)
½ cup Balducci’s 2 year Export Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
1. Cook onions, carrots, celery and garlic in butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add milk, broth, and beer, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper.
2. Add cheddar cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil).
3. Whisk in grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve sprinkled with bacon.
GRILLED SHRIMP SERVED WITH BALDUCCI'S CHEF MADE MANGO GAZPACHO
18 Balducci's raw, medium peeled, de-veined and tail removed
1 qt Balducci's Chef made Mango Gazpacho
2-3 tbls olive oil
6 fresh basil leaves
Pre heat grill on high.
1. Toss shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; grill on high until cooked through. Keep warm.
2. Place 6 grilled shrimp on the side, coarsely chop the balance of the grilled shrimp and mix into the Balducci's Chef Made Mango Gazpacho.
3. Portion into wine glasses or bowls and top with reserved whole shrimp as a garnish. Finish with fresh basil leaves.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE WITH APPLES
3 lbs. Butternut Squash, peeled & seeded
1 Spanish Onion
3 Leeks, washed & sliced
1 Quart Apple Cider
3 Red Delicious Apples, peeled & diced
1 Quart Vegetable or Chicken Stock
1/2 lb. Butter
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper
Optional: Crisp bacon, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Melt 1/2 of the butter into sauce pan.
2. In large bowl toss the butternut squash, melted butter, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spread squash on roasting pan and roast in the oven for approximately 35 minutes (until tender).
3. In heavy bottom (non-reactive) sauce pot melt remaining butter. Sauté onions and leeks until tender. Add diced apples and cook for additional 3 minutes. Add the roasted squash, apple cider and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Puree bisque with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender. Serve hot. Garnish with julienne apples and/or crisp bacon, if you like.
1 hr 25 min
4 tablespoons butter
6 cups of thinly sliced white onions
4 tablespoons flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, smashed
5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
4 ounces port wine
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a heavy pot. Add the onions and let cook over medium-low heat until deeply caramelized the onions. Stir only occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pan. This will take awhile - at least 25 minutes. Don't rush it or the onions will taste burnt, not sweet.
2. Add the garlic, bay and clove.
3. Stir in the flour until well distributed.
4. Add the broth and simmer for 35 minutes.
5. Remove the clove and bay leaf and puree the soup well.
6. Serve in warm bowls with the crumbled blue cheese scattered over the soup. Finish with a drizzle of port over the top.
LENTIL AND WILD MUSHROOM SOUP
1 oz Balducci's dried mushroom blend
1 cup hot water
1 medium onion, minced
1 carrot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup red wine
10 oz Balducci's lentils
6 cups water
1/4 pound pasta, vermicelli or spaghettini, broken
3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place dried mushrooms in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. When mushrooms are soft, remove from water, squeeze water into bowl and reserve. Chop the mushrooms.
3. In a large saucepan, add olive oil and cook the onions, carrots, garlic, herbs, and chopped mushrooms over medium heat.
4. When onions have browned slightly, add mushroom liquid, wine, lentils, and water.
5. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Add the pasta and cook an additional 10 minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper as needed.
8. Garnish with chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
PASTA & FAGIOLI WITH PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 pound cannellini beans
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
14 oz can tomatoes, drained
3 oz small tubular pasta, such as ditali
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and chiffonade of basil for garnish
1. Place the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the celery, onion and garlic until they are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the beans, dried herbs, broth, water, and tomatoes.
4. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
5. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add the pasta; cook an additional 10-15 minutes until pasta is done.
7. Add salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with grated cheese and fresh basil chiffonade.