BALDUCCI’S CHILLED CANTALOUPE & MINT SOUP
1 Balducci’s cantaloupe, peeled and seeded and cut into chunks
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
3 tbls fresh lime juice
2-3 tbls clover honey
1 tbls crystalized ginger
Pinch of salt
1. In a blender or food processor, purée all ingredients until smooth.
2. Chill at least 1 hour before serving, garnished with mint. This soup can be made up to 2-3 days ahead.
BALDUCCI’S CHILLED GINGER, TURMERIC SPICED CARROT SOUP
2 tbls olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and minced fine
1 tbls minced fresh thyme, only the tiny leaves
3 small green onions, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1” piece of ginger, peeled and grated
pinch of red pepper flakes
2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 “ thick pieces
1 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp ground turmeric
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 cups water or vegetable stock
¼ cup plain full fat yogurt for serving
Chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Sweat (the process of not browning) the shallots, thyme, green onions, garlic, minced ginger, and pepper flakes for 1 to 2 minutes or just until glossy. Do not brown.
2. Add carrots, salt, cinnamon stick and turmeric and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until carrots are very soft, 20-25 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
3. Purée soup in batches in a blender, only fill blender bowl half way and be careful of steam.
4. If serving cold, chill soup for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
5. Divide soup between 4 to 6 bowls and place a spoonful of yogurt in center of each and finish with chopped parsley.
BALDUCCI’S AGED CHEDDAR & PARMESAN CHEESE SOUP
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
2 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch, diced
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch, diced
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk, heated
2 cups low sodium chicken stock, heated
1 (12-oz) bottle malty bass ale or your favorite local ale
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 ½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb Kerrygold Vintage Irish Cheddar, grated (4 cups)
½ cup Balducci’s 2 year Export Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
1. Cook onions, carrots, celery and garlic in butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add milk, broth, and beer, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper.
2. Add cheddar cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil).
3. Whisk in grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve sprinkled with bacon.
BUN BO HUE, VIETNAMESE SOUP
1 lb very lean Kings organic beef sirloin, trimmed of all fat, the Kings Butcher will be happy to do this for you.
1/4 pound Vietnamese rice noodles, If not available use Kings Vermicelli
3 cups Homemade Beef Stock or Kings low sodium Beef Stock
1 tbls sugar
1 tbls finely minced Kings organic Lemongrass, (try using a zester to mince)
¼ cup Asian fish sauce
1 cup fresh Kings organic bean sprouts
1 small Kings organic Spanish onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 cups thinly sliced Kings white or red cabbage, sliced thin
4 Kings organic scallions, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1 small Kings organic jalapeno, very thinly sliced crosswise
1/3 cup Kings organic fresh cilantro leave
1/3 cup Kings organic Thai basil, coarsely chopped
Optional Asian hot-chile sauce, Sriracha is a good choice
1. Wrap beef in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for about 1 hour. This helps to slice very thin.
2. If using Rice noodles, fill a large bowl with cold water; add rice noodles. Let soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain; set aside. If using Kings Vermicelli, cook al dante in boiling salted water, drain, rinse with cold water, and hold for step 5.
3. Combine beef stock, 2 cups water, sugar, minced Lemongrass and fish sauce in a large saucepan, and set over medium-high heat. Simmer.
4. Remove beef from freezer. Using a very sharp knife, slice beef into very thin (1/8 inch) strips.
5. Divide noodles among serving bowls, and arrange strips of meat over them. Raise heat under stock, and bring to a boil. Pour boiling stock over meat and noodles, pushing beef into hot liquid so that it cooks. Strategically arrange small amounts of bean sprouts, cabbage, scallions, jalapeno, cilantro and Thai basil, around prepared bowls over beef and noodles; serve immediately with optional Asian chile sauce.
(Traditionally served for Breakfast, but can be eaten anytime)
OKTOBERFEST BRATWURST SANDWICH
3 lbs fresh Balducci’s bratwurst
one 12 oz can of your favorite German Dark Beers
2 onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbls toasted caraway seeds (toast by dry sautéing in a small pan until fragrant)
2 sticks Balducci’s butter
8-10 fresh hoagie rolls
2 cups prepared sauerkraut, heated
Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
1. Prick bratwurst with fork. Place in a large stockpot with the onions, garlic, toasted caraway seeds, butter, and beer. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Lightly oil grate. Cook bratwurst on preheated grill for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Serve hot off the grill with onions and sauerkraut on hoagie rolls
4 oz. diced Green Bell Pepper
8 oz. diced red onion
1/4 oz. can of V-8 Hot & Spicy
2 14.5 oz. cans of Hunts Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 tsp. chopped fresh garlic
2 oz. diced celery
3 tbsp. chopped cilantro,save leaves
Lime juice from 1-2 limes
2 tsp. ground McCormick Cumin
1 tsp. McCormick Hot Shot
3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp. White Balsamic Vinegar
4 tbsp. agave nectar
3 tbsp. Sour Cream
2 tbsp. Goat Cheese
Lime juice from 1 lime
4 slices Serrano Ham, sliced thin
1. For Soup – In large bowl, combine all ingredients under gazpacho and mix well. Remove approximately 1/3 of the cold soup and pulse in a blender or food processor. Add back into remaining soup and keep chilled for service.
2. Avocado Cream – Peel and pit avocado’s and place in a small mixing bowl. Add sour cream, goat cheese, lime juice and salt. Blend with potato masher (or blender) until smooth, and reserve in fridge until serving.
3. Serrano Ham – Heat in non-stick pan over medium and sauté ham until crisp on both sides, very similar to cooking bacon.
4. To Serve – Add gazpacho to soup bowl and garnish with a tsp. of avocado cream, a piece of serrano ham and a few cilantro leaves.
CLASSIC ITALIAN PANINI WITH PROSCIUTTO AND FRESH MOZZARELLA
1 loaf of NEW French Bakery “Take & Bake” French Bread, cut in half horizontally
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 cup Lioni Burrata shredded fresh mozzarella
2 ounces very thin slices prosciutto
2 Organic plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise over cut side of each bread half. Sprinkle basil and 1/2 cup cheese on bottom half of loaf. Top evenly with prosciutto, tomato slices, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with top half of loaf. Cut filled loaf crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten sandwiches. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook).
GRILLED SHRIMP SERVED WITH BALDUCCI'S CHEF MADE MANGO GAZPACHO
18 Balducci's raw, medium peeled, de-veined and tail removed
1 qt Balducci's Chef made Mango Gazpacho
2-3 tbls olive oil
6 fresh basil leaves
Pre heat grill on high.
1. Toss shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; grill on high until cooked through. Keep warm.
2. Place 6 grilled shrimp on the side, coarsely chop the balance of the grilled shrimp and mix into the Balducci's Chef Made Mango Gazpacho.
3. Portion into wine glasses or bowls and top with reserved whole shrimp as a garnish. Finish with fresh basil leaves.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE WITH APPLES
3 lbs. Butternut Squash, peeled & seeded
1 Spanish Onion
3 Leeks, washed & sliced
1 Quart Apple Cider
3 Red Delicious Apples, peeled & diced
1 Quart Vegetable or Chicken Stock
1/2 lb. Butter
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper
Optional: Crisp bacon, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Melt 1/2 of the butter into sauce pan.
2. In large bowl toss the butternut squash, melted butter, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spread squash on roasting pan and roast in the oven for approximately 35 minutes (until tender).
3. In heavy bottom (non-reactive) sauce pot melt remaining butter. Sauté onions and leeks until tender. Add diced apples and cook for additional 3 minutes. Add the roasted squash, apple cider and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Puree bisque with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender. Serve hot. Garnish with julienne apples and/or crisp bacon, if you like.
1 hr 25 min
4 tablespoons butter
6 cups of thinly sliced white onions
4 tablespoons flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, smashed
5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
4 ounces port wine
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a heavy pot. Add the onions and let cook over medium-low heat until deeply caramelized the onions. Stir only occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pan. This will take awhile - at least 25 minutes. Don't rush it or the onions will taste burnt, not sweet.
2. Add the garlic, bay and clove.
3. Stir in the flour until well distributed.
4. Add the broth and simmer for 35 minutes.
5. Remove the clove and bay leaf and puree the soup well.
6. Serve in warm bowls with the crumbled blue cheese scattered over the soup. Finish with a drizzle of port over the top.
LENTIL AND WILD MUSHROOM SOUP
1 oz Balducci's dried mushroom blend
1 cup hot water
1 medium onion, minced
1 carrot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup red wine
10 oz Balducci's lentils
6 cups water
1/4 pound pasta, vermicelli or spaghettini, broken
3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place dried mushrooms in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. When mushrooms are soft, remove from water, squeeze water into bowl and reserve. Chop the mushrooms.
3. In a large saucepan, add olive oil and cook the onions, carrots, garlic, herbs, and chopped mushrooms over medium heat.
4. When onions have browned slightly, add mushroom liquid, wine, lentils, and water.
5. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Add the pasta and cook an additional 10 minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper as needed.
8. Garnish with chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
PASTA & FAGIOLI WITH PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 pound cannellini beans
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
14 oz can tomatoes, drained
3 oz small tubular pasta, such as ditali
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and chiffonade of basil for garnish
1. Place the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the celery, onion and garlic until they are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the beans, dried herbs, broth, water, and tomatoes.
4. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
5. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add the pasta; cook an additional 10-15 minutes until pasta is done.
7. Add salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with grated cheese and fresh basil chiffonade.