ORGANIC BLUE BAY MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE TOMATO BROTH WITH GORGONZOLA CROSTINI
1/4 cup Balducci’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup crushed tomatoes in sauce
1 cup Balducci’s Sauvignon Blanc
1 sprig fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 pounds Organic Blue Bay Mussels, scrubbed and debearded (ask your Balducci’s fish monger for assistance!)
Salt & fresh black pepper
1 loaf Balducci’s Baked Fresh French Baguette, sliced into 1/4” slices
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat broiler to medium heat.
2. In a large stock pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, white wine, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Next, prepare the mussels by discarding any mussels that have broken shells or that don't clamp shut when tapped. Add the mussels to the prepared stock and cover, then bring to a boil. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until the mussels open, about 3 minutes. (Discard any unopened mussels).
5. Then, place sliced baguette on to foil-lined cookie sheets and top each slice with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Put the crostini under the broiler for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
6. To serve, place the broth over the mussels and serve alongside crostini.
WHOLE BRONZINI STUFFED WITH LEMONS AND HERBS
Two 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb fresh, whole Bronzini, scaled and gutted
2 large lemons
3 tablespoons Balducci’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Assorted fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme and basil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Lightly grease the grill rack using a paper towel dipped in olive oil. Slice the lemons into thin slices and stuff the cavity of each fish with 4 lemon slices and a few whole sprigs of selected herbs, then season the inside with salt and pepper.
2. Brush the outside of the fish with olive oil, place a few additional slices of lemon on top and wrap with butcher’s twine several times along the width to secure the lemons. (Note, also tie a loop around the tail and make a knot). Then, wrap the string, length-wise, around the rest of the fish, and tie it off near the head.
3. Grill the Bronzini over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned and crisp and just cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Carefully cut twine off each Bronzini and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
ROASTED SALMON WITH TOMATOES, ONION AND GARLIC
10 Ounces Salmon
1 Tomato, Chopped
1 Onion, Sliced
5 Cloves Garlic, sliced lengthwise into 3 pieces
3 Teaspoons Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper or Other Seasonings, to taste
Toss tomatoes, onion and garlic with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Brush salmon with remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Arrange tomato mixture around salmon on a baking sheet. Broil approximately 10-15 minutes, turning tomato mixture at least once during cooking. Serve with mixture on top of salmon and finish with a dusting of salt, pepper or seasoning of your choice.
GRILLED SHRIMP TACOS WTH LIME & GINGER
16 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 small soft corn tortillas
1 cup shredded lettuce
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced small
Ginger lime marinade:
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
3/4 cups thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger
Juice and zest of 2 limes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dark toasted sesame oil
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
Pre heat grill to high
1. Combine all the ingredients for the ginger lime marinade, place in a food processor and process until blended and fragrant. Removing 1/2 cup to use for later.
2. Toss peeled shrimp with remaining ginger lime mixture in a stainless steel bowl, cover and marinate for 15 minutes.
3. Remove shrimp from bowl and discard raw shrimp marinade. Grill shrimp 2-3 minutes or until done, turning once.
4. Build grilled shrimp tacos with the soft corn tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, diced avocado and grilled shrimp, drizzle with remaining ginger lime dressing.
CEDAR PLANK SMOKED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
2/3 Cup Mayonnaise
2/3 Cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Scallion, chopped
2 Tablespoons Parsley, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Dill, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
Salt and Pepper
1-2 Cedar Grilling Planks
3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
4 Slices of Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, 4-6 oz each
Preheat grill to medium-high.
1. For the sauce, combine the mayo, sour cream, scallion, parsley, dill, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and cover and chill until serving.
2. Cover the cedar plank(s) with water and soak for at least one hour.
3. For marinade, combine the mustard, maple syrup, orange juice, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper in a zipper lock bag. Add the Alaskan Sockeye Salmon slices and marinate for 25-30 minutes.
4. Place the wet plank(s) on the grill, cover and heat until lightly smoking.
5. Place the salmon fillets on the plank, skin side down. Cover and cook until fish is done through, about 10-15 minutes.
6. Serve straight from the plank, with the dill sauce.
GRILLED SWORDFISH WITH ARUGULA PESTO
Four Swordfish Steaks, 6 ounces each
Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley
7 Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
1 Bunch Arugula, coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
Preheat grill to high
1. Place garlic, parsley, basil, arugula and lemon juice in a food processor, process until smooth adding in olive oil until you get a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Season each swordfish steak with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Lower grill to medium heat and cook the steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and place on a platter.
4. Spoon arugula pesto over the cooked steaks.
PROSCIUTTO TOSCANO (TACCONI PASTA WITH PROSCIUTTO TOSCANO, SHRIMP AND ASPARAGUS)
3/4 lb Tacconi (square pieces of pasta, similar to a very short length of a lasaga noodle, that is flat in the center and rippled on two sides.)
1/2 onion cut into small dice
10 fresh basil leaves
5 oz fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch bias pieces
1/2 lb raw peeled and deveined medium shrimp
2 oz mature Pecorino Toscano PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) , grated
4 oz Prosciutto Toscano PDO (Protected Designation of Origin), cut into thin strips
1/4 cup white wine
Extra-virgin olive oil Toscano PGI (Protected Geographical Indication)
1. Heat a large saut&ecute pan with Olive oil, add the diced onion over a medium heat.
2. Add the asparagus and 2-3 tbs water. When the asparagus are almost cooked add Prosciutto Toscano and cook, over a high heat, for not more than 2 minutes.
3. Moisten with white wine and shrimp, cook until evaporated.
4. Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water, drain it al dente and saut&ecute with the sauce previously prepared. Add the grated cheese, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and the basil leaves.
5. Garnish with additional fresh basil and grated fresh black pepper.
VALENTINE'S DAY SHRIMP FRA DIAVOLO
1 lb ready to cook large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tsp salt, plus additional as needed
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbs olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
3 Tbs chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
8 fresh basil leaves
1lb of Vitamia and Son's 'I Love You' Ravioli or any of your favorite pasta
1. Place water on stove and bring to a boil. Salt water.
2. Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
3. Add the onion to the a large skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano.
4. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for about one more minute, mixing, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve.
5. Add heart shaped ravioli or pasta to boiling water; remove when they rise to the top. Drain pasta.
6. Serve pasta with sauce and shrimp.
ALASKAN SALMON W/ FENNEL, TOMATOES & OLIVES
3 Pounds Fresh Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fillets, with skin on
2 Pints Grape Tomatoes
2 Bulbs Fresh Fennel, sliced thin
1 Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
1 Cup Pitted Oil Cured Olives, cut in half
4 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Basil Leaves
4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F
1. Portion Alaskan Sockeye salmon fillets into 6-8 equal portions, season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large sauté pan, adding in olive oil and saute fennel, red onions and grape tomatoes, seasoned with half of basil leaves and fresh thyme sprigs, salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes add in olives and sliced garlic seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Pre heat a large sauté pan and drizzle Alaskan Sockeye salmon fillets with a little olive oil and place skin side down to caramelize skin for approx 3-5 minutes and transfer to a foil lined sheet pan skin side up and roast for 5-7 minutes in pre heated oven or until an internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.
4. Place saute fennel mixture on a platter and top with roasted Alaskan Sockeye salmon fillets. Garnish with the balance of basil leaves.
GRILLED LOBSTER WITH ROASTED GARLIC AIOLI
Preparation and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
4 Cloves Garlic, Roasted
3 Lobsters, 2 Pounds Each, Split In Half. The Balducci's Seafood associate can do this for you.
1 Cup Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Thyme
2 Anchovies, Minced
4-6 Drops Tabasco
Salt And Pepper
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
1. Preheat the grill on high.
2. Combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped parsley and hot pepper flakes. Marinate the split lobsters in this mixture.
3. Prepare the garlic aioli. Puree the mayonnaise, lemon juice, minced roasted garlic, chopped thyme, minced anchovies, and Tabasco in a food processor. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Set aside
4. Grill the lobsters on all sides until cooked through.
5. Place the grilled lobsters on a platter and serve with the roasted garlic aioli on the side.
MUSTARD AND DILL CRUSTED SWORDFISH
Preparation and Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Four 6 oz swordfish steaks
1/2 Cup fresh chopped dill
1/2 Cup + 2 tbls Dijon mustard
1/2 Cup Whole grain mustard
4 Sprigs fresh dill for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Mix together the chopped dill and 1/2 cup of both mustards in a stainless steel bowl. Being sure to mix to ensure a smooth consistency.
2. Pat swordfish steaks with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture, brush tops of swordfish with the additional 2 tbls of Dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper and evenly divide mustard and dill coating over the four steaks.
3. Transfer prepared swordfish steaks to a foil lined baking sheet. Roast for 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and an instant read thermometer reads 145-150 degrees F.
4. Serve and garnish with fresh dill sprigs
MAHI MAHI WITH FALL INSPIRED PEAR SALSA
2 Forelle pears peeled, cored and diced
2 tbls chopped red onion
2 tbls chopped sweet red pepper
1 tsp chopped jalapeno
1 tbls chopped cilantro
2 tbls lime juice
1 tbls agave nectar
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
4 Mahi Mahi steaks
salt and pepper
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl and set aside so the flavors can marry.
2. Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the Mahi Mahi for 8-10 minutes turning once. The fish is done when it turns opaque in color and flakes easily.
3. When ready to serve, top the Mahi Mahi with the Pear salsa and serve immediately.
6 salmon filets (about 7 oz a piece)
1 cup + 2 tbsps Balducci's Ginger Plum Marinade
1/2 bunch scallions sliced thin on the bias
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the salmon in a shallow glass baking dish. Season salmon well with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over the fish. Make sure fish is flesh side down in the dish. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat the grill to medium high.
3. Remove the salmon from the marinade and place it flesh side down on the grill. Do not move the fish once it is on the grill or it will break. Once the fish is well marked, it will release from the grill without sticking; this will take 4-5 minutes. The fish is done once the internal temperature when taken with a stem thermometer reaches 145 degrees F. This will take about 8 minutes per inch of thickness.
4. When done cooking, remove from grill and arrange on a platter, skin side down. Brush top of fish with remaining marinade. Sprinkle sliced scallions over top. Serve immediately.
HONEY SOY CHILEAN SEA BASS
6 pieces Chilean sea bass, 8 oz each
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup Balducci's Hay Day Honey Bear
1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin on the bias
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Season fish lightly on all sides with salt and black pepper.
3. Whisk together the honey and the soy. Marinate the sea bass in the honey/soy mixture for 1 hour.
4. Remove fish from marinade and place in an oven safe back dish. Drizzle some of the marinade on top of the fish.
5. Place fish in oven for 12-15 minutes (depending on thickness of cut of fish), until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Honey/soy mixture will reduce and caramelize on the fish - the fish should be a deep brown color.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.
6 salmon fillets, roughly 7-8 oz each
1 cup Balducci's Pesto Sauce
1/4 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Pan spray as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Stir together the pesto, breadcrumbs and lemon juice.
3. Spray a cookie sheet well with pan spray.
4. Season the salmon fillets on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the salmon skin side down on the cookie sheet.
5. Divide the pesto mixture evenly between the 6 fillets. Smear the pesto mixture on top of the salmon to 'crust' it.
6. Place the salmon in the oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the salmon), until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
7. Remove salmon from the oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Serve immediately.
2 lbs of calamari rings and tentacles (de-beaked)
1 small white onion, diced
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
4 ounces olive oil, plus a small amount to finish
pinch red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
6 cups of marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the calamari and sauté another minute.
3. Add the red wine, bring to a simmer, and reduce by half.
4. Add the marinara sauce and bay leaf.
5. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 1.5 hours or until the squid is very tender.
6. Remove from heat and finish with parsley and a small amount of olive oil.
7. Serve over cooked linguini or slices of crusty bread.
GRILLED SHRIMP PANZANELLA SALAD
4 Tbs red wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 tsp finely minced garlic
2 tsp double concentrate tomato paste (in a tube)
1 1/2 pounds peeled deveined extra large uncooked shrimp
3 cups focaccia croutons
1 1/2 cartons grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2/3 cup parsley leaves
1 English cucumber, diced
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
6 cups shredded romaine, or your favorite mix of lettuces
1. Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients until well combined. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the shrimp and toss well. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, drizzle a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Set aside to marinate.
3. Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool.
4. When ready to serve, arrange the lettuces on a large platter. Toss together the tomatoes and vinaigrette, the bell peppers, cucumber and croutons. Drizzle the lettuce with any remaining vinaigrette. Pile the vegetables on top of the lettuce, arrange the shrimp around the platter, and serve immediately.
SAFFRON AND GINGER STEAMED MUSSELS
2 Pounds fresh Mussels
2 Cups Balducci's Prosecco
1 Cup water
1 Tablespoon saffron threads
2 Inch piece of ginger, peeled & julienne sliced
1 Clove garlic -- minced
1 Lemon peel
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 Cup stick sweet butter
1 Large loaf of crusty French bread
1. Rinse mussels under cold water; remove beards from mussels and any other materials from shell.
2. Combine Balducci's Prosecco and water with saffron, ginger, garlic, lemon peel and salt. Bring to a simmer; add in cleaned mussels and cover.
3. Cook for approx. 4-5 minutes (shaking often) until mussels open up.
4. Remove cooked mussels from pot with a slotted spoon, add butter and swirl into broth. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
5. Pour seasoned broth over mussels; serve with crusty French bread.