BRIE WITH APPLE, FIG AND HONEY COMPOTE
1 large round Brie (or 2 small rounds)
4 Pink Lady Apples, cored and sliced thin, with peel left on
8 ounces fresh figs
½ cup Balducci’s 100% Organic Honey
2 teaspoons Balducci’s Fresh Organic Thyme leaves
1 whole cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon salt
Allow the Brie to come to room temperature as you prepare the compote. Remove stems from figs and cut into halves and quarters, set aside.
In a small heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven, place sliced apples, honey, 1 teaspoon thyme and cinnamon stick, and cook over medium-low heat until apples begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
Add fig pieces and sea salt to the apple mixture, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick, and spoon compote onto Brie, sprinkling with fresh thyme. Serve immediately with crackers, fresh bread or freshly cut fruit.
CHEESEBOARD WITH CURRANT MUSTARD MARMALADE
Quick Currant Mustard Seed Marmalade (recipe below)
Oil Cured Black Olives
Crisp Rye Flatbread
CHEESES TO PAIR
Cabra Romero (or another hard goat cheese)
Prairie Breeze Cheddar (or another aged Cheddar)
6-Month or 12-Month Aged Manchego
CURRANT MUSTARD MARMALADE RECIPE
1/2 cup dried currants
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Balducci’s Organic Balsamic Vinegar
In a small sauce pot, combine currants, water, mustard seeds, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. If the sauce is watery, continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes until desired consistency is reached, and most of the water has absorbed. Allow to cool and serve alongside the other accoutrements on your cheese board.
Balducci's: Cheeseboard from Balducci's Food Lover's Market on Vimeo.
ASPARAGUS GOAT CHEESE GALETTE
1 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup ice cold water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup goat cheese, softened (Leonora Spanish Goat Cheese?)
1/2 cup Balducci’s 2-Year Export Parmesan, freshly grated
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Balducci’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound asparagus, washed and trimmed
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
To prepare crust, combine flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine.
Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, and lemon juice. Pour over flour mixture and use hands or a wooden spoon to form dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and store in freezer for 20 minutes.
To prepare filling, whisk together olive oil and garlic clove in a small bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the three cheeses and stir in one teaspoon
of olive oil mixture. Refrigerate until ready for use.
To assemble galette, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. On a well floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a 12-inch circle,
trimming edges until smooth. Transfer dough to lined baking sheet.
Leaving a 2-inch border, spread the cheese mixture evenly over dough. Arrange asparagus over the cheese then drizzle remaining olive oil
mixture over the top. Fold over the edges of dough, pleating to make it fit.
Whisk together egg yolk and water. Brush over the crust and bake
for 30 minutes or until cheese is puffed, asparagus is tender,
and crust is golden brown.
MUFFIN TIN CHILAQUILES WITH CHIPOTLE CORN SALSA
Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 20-25 minutes
2 ½ pounds lean ground beef (ground fresh in stores daily!)
½ cup onion, diced
2 tablespoons Balducci’s Organic Olive Oil
2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
32 ounces tomatillo sauce
1 bag small round tortilla chips (should fit within the diameter of a regular sized muffin tin)
1 cup queso fresco
Chipotle Corn Salsa:
24 ounces frozen corn
¾ cup onion, diced
2 tablespoons Balducci’s Organic Olive Oil
1 ½ cups red bell pepper, diced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then add onions and chopped garlic.
Cook for 5 minutes until translucent, then add ground beef and cook until completely browned.
Remove from heat, add the tomatillo sauce, and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, combine corn, onion and olive oil for the salsa, spreading onto a baking sheet.
Cook for 18 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Once the corn is finished cooking, reduce oven temp to 350°F.
While corn is in the oven, assemble the chilaquiles.
Take a muffin tin sheets (12 muffins total), and coat with cooking spray.
In each muffin tin, place a round tortilla chip, topped with a small amount of the ground beef/tomatillo mixture.
Top with queso fresco and repeat again, ending with queso fresco. (There should be two layers in each muffin tin).
Bake for 20-25 minutes in the 350°F oven.
Balducci's: Muffin Tin Chilaquiles from Balducci's Food Lover's Market on Vimeo.
GRILLED PINEAPPLE SKEWERS WITH CITRUS MINT GLAZE
10 Balducci’s Fresh Pineapple Kabobs (made in-store!)
Citrus Mint Glaze:
½ cup Balducci’s 100% Organic Honey
2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup fresh orange juice
½ teaspoon orange zest
⅓ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup lime juice
½ teaspoon lime zest
¼ cup Balducci’s Organic Fresh Mint, finely chopped
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Combine honey, pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice and both citrus zest in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Remove ½ cup of juice mixture and cool in a small bowl. (Reserve remaining juice mixture). Add chopped mint to the cooled juice mixture and set aside.
3. Using a brush, coat the prepared pineapple skewers with the cooled mint and juice mixture.
4. Place skewers on the preheated grill (lower the heat to the low setting), and brush with remaining mint and juice mixture while cooking. Cook for 2-3 minutes before turning. Brush with mint and juice mixture and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve with reserved juice mixture on the side.
PROSCIUTTO, CANTALOUPE & BURRATA BRUSCHETTA
8 slices Prosciutto di Parma
1 cup store-sliced fresh cantaloupe
1 ball fresh Burrata, sliced
1 cup fresh basil leaves
8 slices toasted baguette slices
Top with sea salt and olive oil
1. Combine prosciutto, cantaloupe and Burrata.
2. Top on toasted sliced baguette.
3. Garnish with basil.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste.
GRILLED ARTICHOKES WITH SESAME DIPPING SAUCE
Sesame Dipping Sauce:
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon Balducci’s 100% Raw Organic Honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 large artichokes
1 bay leaf
⅓ cup Balducci’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 fresh garlic clove, peeled and minced
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. To prepare the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. For the artichokes, fill a large bowl with cold water and add lemon juice. Cut off the stem and top quarter of an artichoke. Bend back the dark green outer leaves and snap off at the artichoke base until only the pale green and yellow leaves remain. Cut any dark green areas off base.
3. Next, cut the artichoke lengthwise in half, and place in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes. Fill a large pot with a few inches of water, and place in a bay leaf and the rest of the lemon that you have already juiced. Place the artichoke halves in a steaming basket, then cover and steam the artichokes for 30 minutes over medium heat. Once the artichokes have slightly cooled, remove the center part of the choke and any purple-colored segments from the artichokes.
4. Then in a small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic. Brush mixture over the steamed artichokes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill artichokes until slightly charred, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.
ASPARAGUS RICOTTA GALETTE
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Balducci’s 2-Year Export Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup ice water
3 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 pound fresh green asparagus, trimmed into 8” lengths
1/4 cup Balducci’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup Balducci’s 2-Year Export Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, mix together flour, Parmesan cheese and salt. With pastry cutter or two knives, work butter into the flour, until the butter is the size ranging from small peas to breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl, whisk together ice water and sour cream. Gradually pour sour cream mixture into flour mixture, mixing with a fork to evenly distribute the liquid. With your hands, form the dough into a ball (If dough is dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until dough can be formed into a ball). Wrap in parchment and chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together ricotta, egg, lemon zest and juice. Set aside. On lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough into a 15X 10” rectangle. Transfer parchment to baking sheet, then spread ricotta mixture to within 2 inches of the edge.
3. Place asparagus spears over ricotta, and fold dough over to meet asparagus tips, pleating the edges. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, parsley, mint, salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Cut into pieces and sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Idea: Asparagus Ricotta Galette
BEET & AVOCADO DEVILED EGGS
1 medium beet
1 ripe avocado
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 fresh garlic clove, peeled
1 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream
1. Fill a medium saucepan with cool water and cover eggs by 1-inch of water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain eggs and immediately run under cold water until they’re cool enough to handle. Peel the eggs and halve each one lengthwise. Slice a thin sliver from the bottom of each egg half to keep it steady. Remove the yolks and place into a small bowl, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place the beet in a small saucepan and cover it with water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until beet is fork tender, about 35-45 minutes. Take the beet out of the water and let it cool completely (You can speed up this process by soaking the beet in cold water). Peel off the skin and cut the beet into small pieces.
3. Place cooked beet, egg yolks, ½ teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of olive oil in to a food processor. Process until smooth and transfer into a bowl.
4. Place avocado, lime juice and ½ a teaspoon of salt and garlic into a food processor and process until fully combined.
5. Transfer beet mixture into a piping bag with a small star tip and fill cooked egg whites.
6. Transfer the avocado mixture into a cleaned piping bag and pipe avocado mixture on top of beet mixture. Top each filled egg with a small dollop of sour cream.
BROWN BUTTER & SALMON CAVIAR DEVILED EGGS
1 dozen large eggs
3 large radishes, finely julienned (using a micro planer works best)
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
½ teaspoon lemon zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ounce Balducci’s Wild Alaskan Salmon Caviar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 package Organic Fresh Dill
1. Fill a medium saucepan with cool water and cover eggs by 1-inch of water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 12 minutes. Drain eggs and immediately run under cold water until they’re cool enough to handle. Peel the eggs and halve each one lengthwise. Slice a thin sliver from the bottom of each egg half to keep it steady, and remove the yolks and place in a small bowl.
2. Next, combine the radishes with the egg yolks, crème fraîche, lemon zest and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spoon the radish mixture into each egg half and top with a small dollop of salmon caviar.
3. Then, in a small skillet, cook the butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and spoon a small drizzle over the caviar. Garnish with dill sprigs.
2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Fine sea salt
1. Mix pineapple, red onion, serrano pepper and lime juice.
2. Add sea salt to taste.
3. Garnish with cilantro.
ROASTED ROSEMARY & CHILE ALMONDS
4 cups water
⅓ cup kosher salt
1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
8 sprigs Fresh Organic Rosemary, divided
8 dried chilies de árbol (dried small red chili peppers), divided
1½ pounds blanched whole almonds
2 tablespoons plus ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Flaky sea salt, such as Fleur de Sel
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium sauce pan, combine water, kosher salt, smashed garlic, 2 rosemary sprigs, and 4 chilies, stirring to dissolve salt. Bring mixture to a boil, then add almonds and remove from heat. Cover and set aside on a countertop for at least 12 hours, up to 24 hours.
2. Drain the almonds and discard rosemary and chilies. Spread out almonds on a rimmed foil-lined baking sheet, then add remaining 4 chilies and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss to coat. Roast almonds, tossing occasionally, until dried out and completely toasted through and fragrant, about 45-50 minutes. Let cool.
FRIED CALAMARI WITH PEPPERONCINI MAYONNAISE
1 pound fresh calamari, cleaned and cut into ½ inch rings (keep tentacles intact)
¾ cup rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
8 whole pepperoncini, plus a little liquid from the jar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a Dutch oven or heavy bottom stock pot, heat oil until it reaches 375°F.
2. Meanwhile, combine mayo, pepperoncini (with stems removed), pepperoncini liquid, and spices into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined but not smooth, leaving small pieces of the peppers.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour and spices. Then, take cleaned calamari and pat dry with paper towels. Toss flour mixture with cleaned calamari, shaking off any excess.
4. Once oil is heated, fry calamari a few at a time for approximately 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove cooked calamari with a slotted spoon, transferring to a paper towel lined dish. Repeat in batches, as necessary. Serve immediately with pepperoncini mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
BLUE SHRIMP DOUBLE DECKER CANAPéS WITH CUCUMBER AND HERBS
12 fresh Blue Shrimp, peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 tbls olive oil
½ cup blue cheese crumbles
6 oz cream cheese, softened
½ tsp fresh chopped thyme
¼ cup finely chopped toasted pine nuts
1 hot house cucumber, peeled and sliced into ¼” bias cut slices
12 multigrain crackers
Additional parsley for garnish
Preheat grill on medium
1. Season peeled shrimp with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Grill shrimp on preheated grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, remove from grill and chill.
3. In a small bowl, combine blue cheese, cream cheese, thyme and pine nuts.
4. Spread blue cheese mixture on each cracker and top with a slice of cucumber.
5. Stack crackers to form a double decker, top second layer with grilled shrimp and garnish with parsley leaves.
CREAMY LEMONY HERB SOUR CREAM DIP FOR BALDUCCI’S POTATO LATKES
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
½ tsp freshly minced thyme
1 tbls chopped fresh chives
juice and zest of 1 lemon
½ tsp Sriracha sauce, optional
1. Mix all ingredients to form dipping sauce and keep chilled.
BUFFALO CHICKEN POTATO SKINS
6 medium baking potatoes, pick all the same size
2 tbls olive oil
4 oz full fat cream cheese
2 cups shredded Balducci’s Rotisserie chicken
Frank's hot sauce to drizzle
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
6 tbls grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbls onion powder
1 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls Italian herb seasoning
2 tbls salt
pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Mix all of the seasonings together in one large bowl, set aside.
2. Wash, scrub and dry all of the potatoes. Rub olive oil all over each potato. Roll each potato into the seasoning mix until all covered.
3. Set potatoes on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes, slice each potato in half.
4. Scoop out the middles with a spoon. Divide the cream cheese evenly between all the scooped out potatoes. Add the cooked chicken. Drizzle on the hot sauce.
5. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Place back into the heated oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
7. Take out of oven and drizzle with even MORE buffalo sauce.
CRISPY EGGPLANT & ZUCCHINI W/ TRUFFLE BURRATA & BASIL PESTO
1 ea. Green Zucchini (Sliced ¼ inch Bias Rounds)
1 ea. Yellow Squash (Sliced ¼ inch Bias Rounds)
1 ea. Baby Eggplant (Sliced ¼ inch Bias Rounds)
NOTE: All vegetables should be similar size in diameter.
TT Salt & Pepper
1 cup AP Flour (maybe a bit more for dusting Vegetables)
5 ea. Eggs (Beaten)
4 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
4 tbsp. Parsley Chopped
2 oz. Parmesan Cheese Grated
2 cups Canola oil (maybe more, as needed for frying)
8 oz. Truffle Burrata (may substitute regular Burrata if desired) (Drained & Dried)
1 cup Basil Pesto
1 bunch Fresh basil (small bunch for garnishing)
1. Season Vegetables with Salt and pepper. Set up a breading station on your counter. First pan the flour (seasoned with S&P); second bowl / pan the egg wash; and the third, pan the panko breadcrumbs. Combine the Parmesan cheese and the parsley into the breadcrumbs and mix well; also season with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge all of your veggies into the flour, lightly dusting, then 1 piece at a time, dunk in egg wash (cover completely), then into the breadcrumb mixture. Once veggies are breaded, store on a small sheet pan, to prepare for frying.
NOTE: when breading your veggies, have 1 dry hand and 1 wet hand, this will make breading procedure easier and cleaner, also wear gloves!
3. Heat Pan on stove to medium high, and oil and begin to fry the veggies until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side. Note: be sure oil is hot before you add your veggies.
4. Once done, remove from oil onto paper towels to drain, and season with salt and pepper.
5. To Serve, take 1 Squash, 1 Zucchini, and 1 Eggplant coin per portion, top with about an ounce of the cheese (very soft cheese, spread with a knife), and a heaping tablespoon of pesto sauce on the plate, garnish with fresh basil leaves.
4 oz full fat cream cheese, softened
4 oz Goat cheese, soften
1 stick sweet butter, soften
1 tbls dark rum
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, goat cheese, butter, rum and confectioners' sugar.
2. Gradually add the pumpkin, pie spice, vanilla and cinnamon; beat until smooth.
3. Serve with your favorite crackers.
WATERMELON AND FETA SKEWERS WITH FRESH MINT
8 ounces Balducci’s feta cheese, cut into small cubes
3 cups fresh Balducci’s watermelon, cut into same-sized cubes
24 small Balducci’s mint leaves (torn in half to uniform size)
Course sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbls Balducci’s balsamic vinegar
2 tbls Balducci’s extra-virgin olive oil
Thread a cube of watermelon onto a skewer, add a mint leaf and finish with a cube of feta cheese. Repeat until you have 24 skewers, and set the completed skewers on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and balsamic vinegar.
MARINATED SEARED HALLOUMI BITES
Halloumi 35.25 oz (4 each)
Lemon Juice 3 oz
Olive Oil 2 oz
Garlic, peeled, rough chopped .2 oz (1 clove)
Mint, rough chopped .2 oz
Basil, rough chopped .2 oz
Black Pepper, ground .025 oz
1. Combine garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, basil and black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
2. Drain the liquid from the packages of halloumi.
3. Slice each piece of halloumi in half (width-wise), then cut each slice in half into 2 triangles.
4. Mix the halloumi with the marinade mixture, making sure to coat each piece well.
5. Wrap and place in the refrigerator, labeled and dated.
6. Marinate the halloumi cheese overnight (keeping in cold holding under 40F).
7. Remove the cheese from the marinade.
8. Heat a medium non-stick sauce pan over medium-high heat (a flat top can also be used). Once heated, pour approx. 1 oz of canola oil in the pan. Spray the pan with cooking spray.
9. Pat dry each piece of halloumi cheese before placing it in the pan. Place the halloumi in the heated pan.
10. To prevent the cheese from sticking, move the pan around intermittently.
11. Once the cheese is golden brown on one side, flip to sear on the other side.
12. Remove the cheese from the pan once it’s seared and golden brown on both sides.. Place in the refrigerator on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper until cooled below 40F.
13. Garnish with sprigs of mint and basil and serve.
SEARED MANCHEGO & SERRANO WRAPPED FIG W/ FIG GASTRIQUE
3.5 oz. Mitica Fig Jam
1/4 cup Capirete Sherry Vinegar
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
8 oz. Manchego Cheese El Trigal Reserva 14 month
4 oz. Serrano Ham Sliced Thin.
12 Dried Figs cut in half. (Fresh is fine if available)
1. The Gastrique – Combine Fig Jam, Balsamic Vinegar, and Sherry vinegar in heavy bottom sauce pot. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often. Reserve for plating.
2. Figs – take 1/2 of the Serrano Ham and cut into 1/2 inch wide, 2 inch long strips.
3. Tightly wrap each Fig (half or quarter) with a strip of the Serrano Ham.
4. Heat a Non-Stick Pan over medium high heat, spray with a bit of pan spray, and begin to sear off the Serrano wrapped figs.
5. Sear on all sides until crisp. Remove from pan and reserve for plating.
6. Seared Manchego – Heat non-stick pan over medium high heat. Cut cheese into desired shape, about a 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cook cheese in non-stick pan for about 45 seconds per side, until golden brown. Remove from heat and reserve for plating.
8. Plating – Cut a Baguette or Ficelle into 1/2 thick pieces. Lay a piece of the seared cheese down first, then take a small piece of the remaining sliced Serrano and put that on top of the cheese. Top it all with a seared Fig, garnish with the Fig Gastrique, and Chives (optional).
1 large bunch Balduccis Kale, tough stems removed, leaves torn into pieces
1 tbls extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
Grinding of fresh black pepper
Position racks in upper third and center of oven; preheat to 400°F.
1. If kale is wet, very thoroughly pat dry with a clean kitchen towel; transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle the kale with oil and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, massage the oil and salt onto the kale leaves to evenly coat. Fill 2 large rimmed baking sheets with a layer of kale, making sure the leaves don’t overlap. (If the kale won’t all fit, make the chips in batches.). Sprinkle with black pepper.
2. Bake until most leaves are crisp, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 8 to 12 minutes total.
3. Store in airtight containers.
TOASTED ALMOND CHEESY STUFFED MUSHROOMS
25 White Mushrooms, brushed clean
1/2 Cup Scallions, minced
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Cream Cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped fine
1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Remove and mince the stems from the mushroom caps.
2. Sauté the stems and scallions in the butter until soft. Stir in the cheese and 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stuff the mushroom caps and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake for 12 minutes.
BAKED APPLE BRIE WITH CARMELIZED ONIONS, AND BACON
1 14 Ounce Round Brie or 2 or 3 Small Whole Brie
3 Delicious Apples
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Chopped Toasted Pecans
1/2 Stick Butter Plus 2 Tablespoons
4 Slices Cooked Bacon, Crumbled
1/4 Teaspoon Cardamom
1 French Bread Baguette, Sliced
1/2 Stick of Butter, Melted, for the Crostini
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Melt the 1/2 stick of butter in a saute pan. Add the cardamom. Slice apples into thin slices and saute until the apples caramelize, around 10 minutes. Remove apples from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the remaining butter and melt it. Turn off the heat and add the brown sugar, toasted pecans and crumbled bacon.
3. Place the brie(s) on an ovenproof serving platter. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the top of the brie. Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and top with the caramelized apples.
4. Serve with French bread crostini
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Place sliced French bread on a large cookie sheet. Brush each piece with melted butter.
2. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove and store in a zip lock bag. May be made the day before serving.
For the short crust pastry:
2 sticks soften unsalted butter taken out of the fridge 2 hours before use
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 small lemon rind
2 cups Pastry flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
For the filling:
5 oz fresh Pecorino Toscano PDO (Protected Designation of Origin), finely chopped or grated
8 oz of fresh whole milk ricotta, drained well.
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup brandy
Pre-heat oven to 325 Degrees F.
For the filling:
1. Mix the Pecorino Toscano, ricotta and sugar: when it is all well combined, add eggs and mix again. Let it rest for 10 minutes and finally add the brandy and let it rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
For the pastry:
1. Blend the soften butter and sugar, add the eggs and lemon, mix well: when the pastry is smooth, add the baking powder and flour and continue kneading; let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour. Dust table top with flour and roll out pastry to a 10 inch round circle.
2. Carefully place prepared pastry in a 9 inch fluted baking pan with the short crust pastry, add the filling and decorate with any leftover pastry. Brush with a beaten egg and bake in pre heated oven.
3. Remove Tart from oven and let cool before slicing serve with an arugula salad
1 Pound Frozen Puff Pastry
12 Thin Slices Turkey
12 Thin Slices Gruyere or Jarlsberg Cheese
8 Tablespoons Honey cup Mustard
1 Large Egg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Defrost the puff pastry in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Roll out each sheet of puff pastry to smooth out folds. Cut in half across the folds.
4. Spread each half sheet with Honey Cup Mustard.
5. Place slices of turkey and cheese on top of the mustard.
6. Roll the pastry up jelly roll style.
7. Break the egg into a small bowl. Whisk or use a fork to completely blend the white with the yolk. Paint the rolled pastry with the beaten egg.
8. Cut each roll into 12 pieces and place each piece on the prepared baking sheet.
9. Repeat with remaining puff pastry.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and puffed.
CRAB QUESADILLAS WITH GUACAMOLE
1 small onion
2 fresh jalapeno chiles
4 ripe avocados
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs, chopped
1 can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 scallions (white and 1-inch of green, sliced
1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper, drained
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 pound Lump Crabmeat
6 flour tortillas (8-10 inch)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. For guacamole, cut the radishes in half and scoop out most of the white centers with a melon baller. Roughly chop the red outsides. Cut the onion into 1/4-inch dice.
2. Wearing rubber gloves, seed jalapenos and finely chop.
3. Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Stir in radishes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, diced tomatoes, lime juice, salt, and mayonnaise. Cover and chill.
4. For quesadillas, mix cream cheese, corn, cilantro, scallions, roasted peppers, pepper and red pepper in a medium bowl. Fold in Lump crabmeat.
5. Divide the mixture evenly over the tortillas and spread to nearly the edge. Fold the tortillas in half, pressing lightly. Brush both sides of each tortilla with butter.
6. In a large skillet, cook in batches over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown. Cut each in half and serve with sour cream and guacamole.
GUACAMOLE MADE IN A MOLCAJETE
1/2 Teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 Teaspoon finely chopped Serrano peppers (for mild version) or 1 1/2 Teaspoons for hot
1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped white onion
1/2 Teaspoon coarse salt
1 Teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Mexican Haas avocado
2 Tablespoons diced plum tomatoes, seeded
1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Using the molcajete (mortar & pestle), mash the garlic, Serrano peppers, onions, salt and lime to release their juices. Set aside.
2. Cut avocado in half around the pit with a knife; twist the halves apart. Carefully remove pit. Hold avocado in hand and cut 1/2-inch pieces. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Use the wooden spoon to mash the avocado pieces in your molcajete.
3. Add avocado to molcajete and mix to a creamy, but chunky consistency. Add the mashed mix, tomatoes and cilantro to the avocado and mix gently.
4. Serve with tortilla chips
1/2 Pound Black Pearl Skinned Salmon Fillet, sliced paper thin
Juice of 2 Lemons, zested
Juice of 2 Limes, zested
Juice of 1 Orange, zested
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro
1/4 Cup Chopped Italian Parsley
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1. Combine all the juices, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and herbs together in a stainless steel bowl.
2. Place thinly sliced salmon in a glass Pyrex dish, pour citrus mixture over salmon and cover with plastic wrap, chill. After 30 minutes gently shake dish to distribute juices over salmon, cover and chill for another 30 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, drain liquid from dish and place 'cooked' salmon on a platter and drizzle with olive oil and garnish with cilantro.